1. Pursuant to Public Act 641 of 2002 (MCL 211.44(2)(b), a township treasurer shall be in his or her office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to receive tax payments on the last day of February (the last day taxes are due and payable before being returned as delinquent under MCL 211.55.)
2. PA 641 also provides that a township treasurer shall be in his or her office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to collect taxes one business day between December 25 and January 1.
Bridget, the Township Secretary and Deputy Treasurer, will be in the office M-F 9:00 a.m. – Noon as well as the above hours in February and one day between December 25 and January 1. You can call as the time gets closer to find out the date.
1. BY LAW, IT IS THE PROPERTY OWNER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW THEY HAVE A TAX BILL AND OBTAIN ONE. SUMMER TAXES ARE MAILED OUT THE FIRST WEEK IN JULY AND WINTER TAXES ARE MAILED OUT THE FIRST WEEK IN DECEMBER.
2. BY STATE OF MICHIGAN LAW ALL PROPERTY OWNERS MUST RECEIVE THE ORIGINAL TAX BILL.
3. It is Pleasantview Township’s policy that if a resident has a paying agent for their taxes the paying agent must request a copy of the tax bill each season each year. Summer taxes should be requested in June and winter taxes should be requested in November. It is the property owner’s responsibility to inform their paying agent of this policy.
4. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RECEIVED AND PAID YOUR TAXES BY THE APPROPRIATE DUE DATE AS STATE OF MICHIGAN TAX LAW DOES NOT ALLOW TREASURERS TO REMOVE INTEREST AND PENALTY, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE A BILL. Summer taxes are due on September 14 (unless the 14th falls on a weekend or holiday then the due date is the next business day) winter taxes are due on February 14 (unless the 14th falls on a weekend or holiday then the due date is the next business day)
5. Pleasantview Township does accept postmark when mailing your tax payments. As long as your envelope is postmarked for the due date and we receive the payment after the due date your tax payment will not be considered late.
6. Pleasantview Township does have a drop box that does get checked on a daily basis. Taxes that are in the drop box anytime on or before the due date will not be considered late and you will receive a receipt as confirmation that we received your tax payment.
7. You can make payments, however, the due dates and interest and penalties still apply.
8. Please remember it is the property owner’s responsibility to contact the Township if you have a change in your mailing address. If we don’t have your correct address, you may not receive your bill and you will still be responsible to pay the tax bill plus any and all interest and penalties that have been acquired.
9. FOR LATE SUMMER TAX PAYMENTS 1% PER MONTH INTEREST WILL BE ADDED AFTER THE DUE DATE. ON FEBRUARY 15 A 3% PENALTY IS ADDED.
10. FOR LATE WINTER TAX PAYMENTS 1% PER MONTH INTEREST, WILL BE ADDED. ON FEBRUARY 15 AN ADDITIONAL PENALTY WILL BE ADDED.
11. IF SUMMER AND WINTER TAX PAYMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN PAID BY MARCH 1ST YOUR TAXES WILL BE DELINQUENT AND WILL HAVE TO BE PAID THROUGH THE EMMET COUNTY TREASUERER WITH ADDITIONAL INTEREST AND PENALTIES. (CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE PAYABLE TO THE PLEASANTVIEW TOWNSHIP.
For additional assistance you can click on the above link to Emmet County. For more tax related issues or forms you can click on the above link to the Michigan Treasury.